Are you ready to take full advantage of an opportunity you have dreamed of for years? What if an opportunity presents itself to get a promotion on your job, advance to a more lucrative career or get that business deal you have desired, would you be ready. A lot of individuals miss out on great opportunities because they have not made the necessary preparations to step through the door when it opens.
Don’t miss your opportunities because you cannot see pass your current situation or you are too busy chasing someone else’s dreams. Don’t let your opportunity pass because you are looking through the wrong door.
Here are eight truths that will empower you to take full advantage of your opportunities when they knock.
1. You cannot let the past dictate your future progress. We have all done things that we are ashamed of and regret. We constantly live in the tension of where we have been, where we are and where we want to go. To live life forward; you must release the guilt of yesterday, the disappointments of today and the fears of tomorrow.
2. You don’t know what you can accomplish until you do it. I don’t care if it hasn’t been done before, do it anyway. I don’t care if no one will go with you, go by yourself. I don’t care if you don’t get encouragement from your family or friends, encourage yourself. The person who really wants to do something finds a way; the other person finds an excuse.
3. Your life is designed to be motivated and fueled by God’s vision. You do not have to run and hide from life’s challenges. You do not have to live a mediocre existence. You do not have to down play who you are. You can pursue your vision with an aggressive offensive attack that will give you the strength and ability to overcome any obstacles that stand in your way.
4. You need to have a funeral for your past. Invite everyone that knows about your past and preach the eulogy. Dig the grave and bury it. You can’t live forward while dragging your past with you. It will not work. It is like trying to drive to a destination while looking in the rear view mirror. You will never make it! It is time to leave the past in the rear view mirror and focus forward.
5. Your thoughts can limit or expand your world. They can influence what you attempt or choose not to attempt. Your thoughts determine what you pay attention to, how you react in difficult situations and ultimately your attitude for success. Success and failure begins with what the mind believes is possible. Change your thinking and your life will change.
6. Your commitment to living your vision is essential. Don’t automatically think everyone that is close to you will support your vision. Don’t think that you are not going to encounter struggles. The truth is your life may get more chaotic. Things that use to work may stop working. That doesn’t mean you abandon your vision or walk away from commitments. Don’t throw in the towel too early. You may be closer than you think in realizing your unique vision.
7. You can let go of discouraging people, disastrous habits and debilitating thoughts. You have suffered enough collateral damage. If you believe where you are going is better than where you have been or where you currently are, then it is time to do what you need to do and move forward. It is your responsibility. The choice is yours. You can’t wait for no one’s approval or the ideal situation. They may never come. Put your unique vision to work and see what happens.
8. You cannot afford to waste time worrying. Worrying will not add a single moment to your life. Worry weighs you down. It is a mental burden. It focuses you in the wrong direction. Life is full of many concerns stemming from the absence of certainty and control over the future. No amount of worrying will change your situation. You overcome worry by refocusing your thoughts, trusting God’s vision plan and doing what you know is right to do.
If you adopt these eight truths in your life, you will recognize your opportunities when they come.
“Even when opportunity knocks, a man still has to get up off his seat and open the door.” Anonymous
Question: What opportunities have you forfeited because of fear or lack of faith? Leave a comment below.
Image courtesy: freedigitalphotos.net