Success is possible for everyone. It is not distinguished for a select group of individuals. It is not based on your family background or what side of the tracks you come from. Success has been achieved by some the most unlikely people. There have been individuals who achieved great success in spite of their background, education and experience. They were willing to put forth the effort and do it what it took to succeed.
Many people are looking for an easy path; a magic pill that will solve all their problems and give them great success with minimal effort.
No Magic Pill
There is no magic pill. There is no smooth, paved road to success. There is no special three or five step plan that will give you instant success. There are no real secrets to success.
If you want real and lasting success that will stand strong when things don’t work out or when things fall apart, your definition of success must change.
I realized several years ago that if I desired to have the kind of success that was not just predicated on the accumulation of things then my definition of success had to change. I wanted the kind of success that was built on becoming the person God desired me to be.
New Definition of Success
When I began to look at success God’s way, my thinking changed. I saw there were things more important than just money, possessions, positions and personal achievement.
I realized my relationship with God, my wife, children, family and others were more important to my success than just the material things. I also discovered my character, values, health, integrity and thoughts were a very important part of my success journey. In my search for true success I discovered a new definition.
Success is becoming the person God purposed you to be, living positive values that guide your daily choices and actions, accomplishing the goals that give your life direction and sowing seeds that empower others.
Success is a marathon, not a sprint. As you strive toward accomplishing your goals and dreams you need to know that there are no secrets to success! Here are 5 truths that I learned to why there are no secrets to success.
The 5 Truths
1. Hard work – I have read hundreds of success stories and most of them had one thing in common, hard work. There is no getting around it. If you want own a successful business you must be willing to get up early and go to bed late. If you want write a book, you must put the work in writing the book.
If you want to have a great marriage or train up productive children it takes hard work.There are no free lunches. There are no such things as overnight success. It may look like it from the outside. But, behind every seemingly overnight success lie years of sweat, sacrifice and hard work.
2. Laser Focus –Every day, we are bombarded with hundreds of tasks, messages and people all competing for our time. You must be absolutely clear on who you are, what you want and what you need to do. Your ability to focus single-mindedly on the most important thing and stay at it until it is complete is an essential prerequisite for success.
You need a written vision plan that helps you focus your direction in every area of your life (spiritual, relational, physical, mental, social, financial and professional). You need a clear vision that laser focuses your daily life, motivates you and those connected to you to do the hard work necessary to achieve real success.
3. Real Courage –Courage is standing when everyone else wants to run, speaking when everyone is afraid to speak, acting when everyone is paralyzed by fear, taking action in the face of danger, holding one’s character and moral uprightness when everyone else is tempted to compromise theirs.
Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “All great successes are the triumph of persistence.” Most people will not have the courage to follow God’s lead, start a new business, break an old habit or move in a different direction. To live successfully you must have the courage to begin, to move out of your comfort zone in the direction of your goals and dreams, even though you know opposition, obstacles, difficulties and temporary failures are waiting for you.
4. Right Thoughts – Proverbs 23:7 says “whatever a man thinks in his heart so is he”. Your thought life determines your success. Negative thoughts can make you feel that you can’t live pass yesterday’s problems, today’s circumstances or tomorrow’s challenges. Negative thoughts will bombard your mind with doubts and fears encouraging you to give up on your dreams.
The only way to reach the success God desires for your life is for you to make a commitment to change the way you think. You must not give into negative thinking. You have the power to change the way you think. Make it a priority to properly align your thinking with God’s purpose for your life. It won’t be easy, but you can do it.
5. Consistent Action – The most outwardly identifiable quality of a successful person is that he or she takes consistent action. You cannot take action one month, miss two months then do something the next month and think everything will work out. You are only fooling yourself. You must take consistent daily action to make your dreams a reality.
Your dreams are waiting for you to live them. There are enough dead dreams in the graveyard people did not take consistent action. There are dreams that you must release from your life. If you do not, yours will be another casualty in the graveyard of dead dreams. If you are reading this, join me in living out your success by taking consistent action.
There are no secrets to success because they are available to everyone. You have to want to know them. You have to pursue them. You have to work them once you know them. By applying these five truths today, your life will change dramatically and success will be within your grasp and you will make a difference.
“Action is the foundational key to all success.” Pablo Picasso
Question: What is your definition of success? What secrets to success have you tried to follow, but discovered it was a lie?