“A wise man will hear and increase in learning and a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel.” Proverbs 1:5
Knowledge is at the click of a mouse. If you do an internet search for any subject or term, you get millions of responses. There are thousands of schools across the country that offers degrees in every imaginable subject. It is overwhelming the amount of knowledge at our disposal.
The problem with our over communicated, twenty first century world is the application of knowledge. Many people gain a wealth of knowledge, but fail to walk in wisdom. Wisdom is the application of knowledge. People mistakenly use knowledge and wisdom interchangeable, but there is a distinguishable difference between the two.
Knowledge is the accumulation of facts, information and data that is available to anyone willingly to put forth the effort to attain it. Wisdom is the ability to apply and follow the best course of action based on the knowledge acquired.
It is good to acquire knowledge, but it is better to exercise wisdom. The world needs more people who exercise wisdom in their daily lives than acquire more knowledge. The wisdom I speak of is not dictated by the world’s standards, but wisdom based upon God’s Word.
The Book of Proverbs is the best book I read that gives practical insight on the importance of living by wisdom. If you desire to live a life predicated on Godly wisdom, the Book of Proverbs gives you the inspiration and instruction you need.
Here are 21 Proverbs to help you live a life of wisdom.
1. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:5
2. How blessed is the man who finds wisdom and the man who gains understanding. Proverbs 3:13
3. Make your ear attentive to wisdom and incline your heart to understanding. Proverbs 2:2
4. For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding. Proverbs 2:6
5. Wisdom is a tree of life to those who take hold of her and happy are all who hold her fast. Proverbs 3:18
6. The wise will inherit honor, but fools display dishonor. Proverbs 3:35
7. Do not forsake wisdom and she will guard you. Love her and she will watch over you. Proverbs 4:6
8. Prize wisdom and she will exalt you. She will honor you if you embrace her. Proverbs 4:8
9. The beginning of wisdom is to acquire it and with all your acquiring, get understanding. Proverbs 4:7
10. Say to wisdom, “You are my sister, “and call understanding your intimate friend. Proverbs 7:4
11. For he who finds wisdom finds life and obtains favor from the Lord. Proverbs 8:35
12. On the lips of the discerning, wisdom is found, but a rod is for the back of him who lacks understanding. Proverbs 10:13
13. The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable, but the mouth of fools spouts folly. Proverbs 15:2
14. The lips of the wise spread knowledge, but the hearts of fools are not so. Proverbs 15:7
15. The wisdom of the sensible is to understand his way, but the foolishness of fools is deceit. Proverbs 14:7
16. He who walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm. Proverbs 13:20
17. The words of a man’s mouth are deep waters; the fountain of wisdom is a bubbling brook. Proverbs 18:4
18. Teaching of the wise is a fountain of life; to turn aside from the snares of death. Proverbs 13:14
19. The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man is he who listens to counsel. Proverbs 12:15
20. By wisdom a house is built and by understanding it is established. Proverbs 24:3
21. He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, but he who walks wisely will be delivered. Proverbs 28:16
Question: What do you need to do to live in wisdom? Leave a comment below.
Image courtesy: freedigitalphotos.net