“For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind.” II Timothy 1:7
I have struggled with various fears over the course of my life. The fear of failure kept me from pursuing my dream of writing. The fear of rejection kept me from allowing people to get close enough to know my heart.
The fear of what other’s might say or think kept me from presenting my material to the world. The fear of things not being perfect kept me procrastinating to the point that I produced nothing. I can list several more fears, but I am going to keep this post short and stop at four.
The more I fight against fear, the more it fights back. It is determined to keep me from realizing God’s vision for my life. But, I am determined to fight with everything I have to overcome its vice-grip. I refuse to let fear win.
Don’t get me wrong, I know I can’t overcome fear in my strength. I have tried and lost every time. I have learned from losing too many battles that I need Christ to work through me to gain victory. I have not arrived, but as I allow Christ to lead me daily, fear is becoming less and less a hindrance.
Here are 21 insights to empower you to overcome the power of fear. Implement them and watch what happens.
1. You must examine the thoughts you allow to enter your mind.
2. Watch, pray and then pray some more.
3. To overcome your fear you must face it.
4. Admit what you are fearful of to God and yourself.
5. Focus only on the things you can control and leave the rest up to God.
6. Pursuing your vision in spite of obstacles and challenges give you the ammunition to defeat fear.
7. Vision will equip and empower you to go where you are fearful to go and do what you are terrified to do.
8. Starve your fears by feeding your faith with God’s Word.
9. The successful person doesn’t let fear dominate his life.
10. Success is realized when you learn from your fears and move forward.
11. When you admit and confront your fears, you put yourself in position for victory.
12. Take your eyes off whatever is causing the fear and focus your eyes on who God says you are and what He says you can do.
13. Ask the Lord to help you deal with the fears in your life.
14. Surround yourself with people that have faith and will encourage you to walk by faith and not by sight.
15. Do what you are afraid to do.
16. Prioritize your life.
17. The moment fearful thoughts come, deal with them immediately. Don’t dwell on them.
18. Cast all your fears upon the Lord because He cares for you.
19. List all your fears and write next to each one, a word of affirmation to speak against the fear.
20. Write down your vision and read it every day; first thing in the morning, at noon and before your go to bed believing that it will come to pass.
21. You don’t conquer your fears by sitting at home; complaining, griping and thinking about it. You must get up and get the job done.
Question: How have you overcome a fear in your life? Leave a comment.